Kawaramachi Catholic Church was first constructed in 1890 during the Meiji Period by Friar Villon, a missionary of the Paris Mission Society, after the edict banning Christianity in Japan was lifted. The first church was done in wood in a Baroque style. In 1967, however, this historic church was removed to Meiji Mura in Inuyama, Aichi Prefecture and a new church built with modern materials, designed by the Swiss missionary, Friar Freuler, took its place. The new cathedral is 43m long, 15.4m long and 24m high. The curving roof is influenced by similar roofs of traditional Japanese Shinto shrines. Much of the interior including the pulpit, the chancel and the floor of the sanctuary is done in marble.
The stained glass windows were manufactured by Hans Stockler of Switzerland. They include images of St. Michael, St. Francis Xavier, the 14 Stations of the Cross and the Resurrection. The images are arranged in the shape of the Japanese archipelago with green and purple the dominant colors representing vegetation growing in light and water. Behind the altar is a large stained glass window of the Creation. The pipe organ comes from Germany and was installed in 1971. It has 1509 pipes and 22 stops.
** You can learn the detail information about the church as follows:
** Catholic Kawaramachi Church Web Sight
By train: Kawaramachi Catholic Church is a short walk south from the Kyoto Shiyakusho Mae subway station on the north-south Karasuma Line of the Kyoto subway.
By bus: The church is in front of Kawaramachi Sanjo Bus Stop. Get on Route 4 , Route 5 , Route 17 or Route 205.
** Detail information is as follows.
** How to go to the church.